Psalm 18

"In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help. From His temple He heard my voice, and my cry reached His ears. Then the earth reeled and rocked; the foundations also of the mountains trembled and quaked because He was angry." Oh the things God does for those He loves.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The not-so-born-blogger embraces her calling...

Some people have what it takes to blog. For instance, my friend, Tracy, is hysterical. I check her blog every time I am on the computer in hopes that she has written yet another post. She is a born blogger. I, on the other hand, am not.
Fully willing to admit that I will, most likely, never have what it takes to keep my audience enthralled or entertained, I will happily embrace the other calling of blogging. Fleshing out my thoughts for all to read.
I will begin with my thoughts on election. No joke. (I rarely joke around about election. Eternal Security? Yes. Election? Not so much.)
As I was reading in Matthew today, I realized that Matthew9:9 is the perfect example of what I believe election is. It reads, "As Jesus passed from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and He said to Him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed Him." (ESV)

Just picture this. Jesus is walking through the streets that were teeming with people. He is there, available to all, making His presence known to all. Yet, out of all the ruckus going on, He spots Matthew, the tax collector and chooses to have compassion on him.
Please understand that there was absolutely nothing redeeming about Matthew. Actually, tax collectors were quite the scum of the earth. They cheated people and people disdained them greatly. Yet, Jesus saw Matthew and, for no reason having to do with Matthew, chose to have a special compassion on him. Out of that compassion, He summoned Matthew. Even though this summon can be taken as suggestion, the loving offer of Christ so greatly compelled Matthew to act that he did not really have a choice. He saw Christ's arms opened wide, and, without giving a second thought to the matter, he rose and ran willingly into His embrace.
We also, as Christians, are so unworthy of the love of Christ and the forgiveness of God. There is absolutely nothing redeeming in us, yet Christ sees us and chooses to have compassion on us and calls our names out. When we hear his summons, we have no choice but to go running into the Savior's arms, turning away from our old lifestyle of sin and fully embracing the new life that He so readily offers.
With that said, let me fully explain that I am not a "theologian" in any sense of the word. My friend started me thinking on this issue a few weeks back, and this is the conclusion that I have currently reached. I am just trying to work some things out for myself and decided to invite you to join along in the journey. Thanks for taking the trek.

No comments: